Whois Data is the data about the domain registered & its related details that every registrar has to maintain. This data can be viewed by any one from around the world by querying the registrars whois server.
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the nonprofit body responsible for accrediting domain name registrars, requires all accredited domain name providers to make your contact information publicly available.
The public WHOIS database is accessible by anyone, 24 hours a day, and includes the following information:
- Domain name holder's name and address
- Address, phone number, and e-mail address of the domain name WHOIS Administrative and Technical contacts
- Date of the domain name registration
- Date of the most recent update to the domain name record
- Date when the domain name registration will expire
- Host name and IP addresses for the domain name servers
Whois data is used in the following ways
- Domain name registrars use it to validate domain transfer request to another domain name holder (registrant) or registrar.
- It is commonly used to find out when a domain name registration is due to expire.
- Law enforcement agencies use it for investigations into illegal activities on the Internet.
- Intellectual property rights holders use it to contact individuals or companies that may be violating their intellectual property rights.
Not at all
What could be better? (Optional)
Not related to my issue
Too complicated explanations
Too much information
Too old information
Do you have any other feedback about this faq ?